Note: This process description is for the LinkSys Wireless Router Model: WRT54G, version 3.0 or later.
If you have version 2.0 or earlier this process would be slightly different.
- Connect a PC or Laptop directly to the Ethernet port on the rear of the WRT54G with an Ethernet cable, at Port# 1
- Check that the lights on the front panel are light green or alight, indicating that the Router is connected to the Internet.
- If the front panel lights are not on, then work backwards checking the DSL/Cable device for full operation, or further back to your service provider
- Access the router setup from a web browser like Internet Explorer or Firefox, generally using the URL address: 192.168.1.1 – At the login prompt leave the username blank, and enter the password as “admin” – (without the quotation marks).
- At the top of the window, click on wireless on the BLACK bar at the top.
- Under wireless click on wireless security on the BLUE bar.
- Select the security mode as WPA-PERSONAL
- Select WPA ALGORITHM as TKIP.
- In WPA Shared Key type an easy to remember word, “superman” or anything else, but it should be at least 8 characters long. and you should remember it as this will be your wireless password.
- The Group Renewal key should be set to 3600.
- Click on save settings at the bottom.
Then, personalize your Wireless Network Name
- Under Wireless, click on Basic wireless settings.
- Set MODE: mixed
- Set NAME: (Insert Whatever Word You Prefer – again, preferably eight letters)
- Set CHANNEL: 11
- Set SSID BROADCAST: ENABLED
Save Your Settings, and Exit the Setup Page. Your Router is now configured for use.